Sea Harmony Ltd. Project Ocean Reef Tower Oases: Feeding the World, Restoring the Oceans has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 827204
Grant Agreement number: 827204
Title: Ocean Reef Tower Oases: Feeding the World, Restoring the Oceans
Type of the action: SME Instrument Phase 1
Start date of the project: 01/07/2018
Duration of the project (months): 6
Date of submission: 15.03.2019
Sea Harmony Ltd. announces the completion and report of the implementation of Phase1 of Project ORTO (Ocean Reef Tower Oases: Feeding the World, Restoring the Oceans).
This project aims to tackle huge ecological and social issues that are interconnected and are defined as one of the greatest challenges humanity faces:
- Ocean dead zones that grow by 400,000 km2 (the size of the Black Sea) each year. Food chains in these areas have broken down, as a result of pollution caused by the amount of fertilizers, that end up, via rivers, in the seas,
- The need to feed human population that is expected to starve as a result of 70% ‘Calorie Gap’ by the year 2050
Sea Harmony’s project ORTO solves both problems by creating a technology for industrial mussel production: the vertical modules called Pisa Reefs allow for natural mussel growth and proliferation and thus revive devastated ecosystems and provide a sustainable source of high quality sea food.
Sea Harmony completed and reported the following tasks, related to project implementation:
- Technology – we have virtually tested the Pisa Reef serial model, validated the Harvester prototype concept and designed the Mobile Production Line
- Commercial – we have refined the market/commercial approach; and have identified trial partners and locations; and studied the relevant Regulation and Certification
- Financial – we have completed a plan for the financial framework of the company for the upcoming scale up; Risk management
ORTO is designed for rapid scaling around the globe, so that this low carbon food source can revolutionise global maritime food supply and significantly contribute to the long-term global food requirements. This contributes positively to EU/UN Sustainable Development Goals #2, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, and 17.
Next steps for ORTO Project development are commercialization, search for Partners for the Performance Evaluation Stage across Europe, start of mass production of Pisa Reef Modules and search of business partners.